If you are a lover of prehistory and dinosaurs, in The Rioja You have a paradise that you should not miss visiting. There you can find more than 8,000 dinosaur tracks, which is undoubtedly one of the largest sites in the world. All this together with the excellent natural landscape that exists in this Autonomous Community makes it a fantastic destination for travelers of any age.
There are so many sites that you can enjoy various routes and places to enjoy them, so take note of the dinosaur route in La Rioja and you will see that doing it is an authentic experience:
– Dinosaur footprints in Enciso: This route begins in the small town of Enciso, which is on the road from Arnedo to Soria. Everything is well signposted so you will have no trouble following the route. There are 6 kilometers so you can do it perfectly on foot, although if you prefer a little more excitement you can rent a quad.
– Virgin of Campo field: It is to the right of the Cidacos river, about 100 meters from the Virgen del Campo hermitage. Formerly there was a lagoon and its entire bottom was fossilized, which made all the footprints perfectly preserved. It is one of the most important sites and you can find more than 500 dinosaur footprints, many of them that give insight into the fight that took place between several and that is now represented by models.
– La Senoba deposit: From the previous one you continue for about 2 kilometers and you come to this one, which is at the top of Mount Carrascal. There are 139 tracks and many of them belonged to carnivorous dinosaurs. Here there is a rest area and themed facilities to learn more about these animals.
– Valdecevillo deposit: It is in the ravine of the same name and has 168 tracks. In the lower part you will find tracks of carnisaurs and further up the remains of dinosaurs or iguanadones. High above are footprints of herbivores walking on all fours.
– Cayos Deposit: From the previous one, follow the town of Cornago, which is about 22 kilometers from Enciso. Before arriving you come across this site, where there are hundreds of tracks of different dinosaurs.
– Age of Peladillo Deposit: From Cornago you can continue towards the Paleontological Interpretation Center of La Rioja, where you can admire a fossil trunk that measures more than 11 meters and "La Era del Peladillo", the largest site in the entire region. There are almost 1,800 footprints, making it the largest deposit in Europe and the third in the world.
Eroica Hispania 2016 Intermediate Distance 115 km (January 2024)
- La Rioja, routes