Nicosia, the capital of CyprusIt is also the largest city in the country and one of its main tourist attractions. It is the only city in the world that continues divided by a wall, with the Turkish part to the north and the Greek part to the south, but the atmosphere that is breathed is very good and has nothing to do with what was with the Berlin Wall .
Then I give you the sights of Nicosia so you don't miss out on the most interesting things to see and also to do:
– Kyrenia Gate: It is the old entrance to the city from the north. It is the ideal point to start your tour since there is the Nicosia Tourist Office and you can get all the information you need. You can go up to the top and enjoy the best views of the city.
– Selimiye Mosque: It was built as a Catholic church but in 1570 it was converted into a mosque. It is one of the most spectacular and important Gothic buildings in the entire country.
– Armenian Church of Nicosia: It is also very important and is on the border between the northern and southern parts of the city.
– Mevlevi museum: It is in the northern part and houses one of the best collections of Turkish Cypriot anthropology in the world. Located in a spectacular 17th century building.
– Historical Center: Here you will discover a lot of places, practically the whole center is worth visiting as it has great historical, cultural and artistic importance.
In addition to those places, the essentials, you can stroll around the city and discover a lot of bazaars and markets, very typical of Nicosia and where you can find things of all kinds such as handicrafts, textiles, local products such as cheeses or olive oil. If you are good at haggling you can get a lot of price tag.
Nicosia / Lefkosia, Cyprus - the Last Divided City in Europe - Tourist Attractions (October 2021)