On vacation we can do a lot of things, from resting on a beach or pool to spending that free time doing some activities such as hiking or cycling, a type of tourism that is very fashionable lately. A foreign magazine has published a list with the best european destinations to enjoy your holidays practicing cycling, so take note and choose the one you like best:
– Yorkshire dales (England): The roads of this place are very quiet on weekends and holidays, so you can make a route between valleys that will not only take you to practice your favorite sport but you will also enjoy spectacular landscapes. The climbs from the lower part of the valley to the top are quite strong, although not as strong as the famous ones in the Alps or the Pyrenees.
– South Downs (England): Here you have almost 100 miles with no vehicle traffic to be able to pedal at ease between Winchester and Eastbourne. Ideal for mountain biking and being able to go down or up the steepest faces of the mountains while admiring the landscape.
– Cycling in Ireland: The whole country in general is recommended since there has always been a great cycling tradition. The roads between Cork and Galway are challenging and you will have many miles to burn calories. In the Beara, Iveragh and Dingle areas you will cycle while discovering spectacular landscapes of green and limestone.
– Cycling in Belgium: It is also another very cycling country that has several very important competitions in the world of this sport. In the Flanders area you can find many roads to enjoy cycling in good weather. If you want picturesque routes, you must go to Liège, where the famous Liège-Bastogne-Liège begins and where you will find several kilometers to climb and then descend.
– Cycling in the French Alps: Now that the Tour de France is taking place, we have the perfect opportunity to discover what the routes in the French Alps are like. Not only do you have the routes that are seen on television, but the ones that are not seen are the same or more spectacular. Alpe d'Huez, Col de Galibier and Col d'Izoard are the best known peaks and in the area there is a lot of cycling tourism with organized routes and vacation packages to feel like a star of this sport.
– Cycling in the French Pyrenees: They are not as well known as the Alps but thanks to the Tour they are also very famous, although their peaks are a little lower, which is appreciated if your experience is not very high. The slopes are much steeper and there are spectacular roads, such as the Col du Tourmalet port, one of the best known in the world. The Laurent Fignon Center in Gerde offers cycling courses for a week, accompanied by accommodation so that the offer is complete.
Europe 2018 - Chapter One (A Cycling Tour Across Europe) (July 2020)