Driving is something that many of us do on a daily basis and that, even if we go on vacation, we like to continue doing it in order to organize our own routes and not depend on third parties to make any visit. Anywhere in the world you would have no more trouble driving, although if you go to travel to the UK and you are going to take your car or rent one there, you have to take several things into account since there it drives on the left.
I will give you some tips so you can drive to the left without any problem:
- The first, and most important, is that English cars have the steering wheel on the right side, so if you take your car it will be a little more difficult to drive, although if you are a good driver you will not have any problem since you will adapt quickly.
- It is also very important that you realize that the traffic is the other way around here and that at any roundabout the cars will come from the right, so make sure to check in anybody before entering, as well as in any other crossing or highway to which you are going to join.
- Be very clear that on any road you will always have to be in the leftmost lane. When you see an intersection arrive, mentally analyze the situation so that you are very clear on where you should position yourself or where you are going to turn.
- The first two or three days you are likely to be wrong about many things, so try not to make movements that are complicated or difficult. Always try to go with someone to analyze all situations between two people, especially if it is someone who knows how to drive on the left. Try repeat trips Make them easy to adapt to that way of driving as soon as possible.
- Always respect the Traffic regulations And look at how the English drive in order to do better since their reputation for being polite and correct also applies to driving. They always give way and try to make driving easier for everyone.
Regarding standards and traffic signals, almost all are the same, although there are some observations that you should also take into account:
– SLOW appears in large letters on the road. It means you must slow down.
– KEEP CLEAR It also appears large and is written on the road and means that you leave that lane free, just like here the rectangles or squares crossed in yellow. It is to avoid long queues and that there are no cars stopped there that hinder the passage of other vehicles coming from another lane.
- In some paid parking You have to enter the last three numbers of the license plate before entering the money.
Driving in the UK for the first time - See what I did to make the transition easier. (March 2021)