The Jamaican gastronomy It is recognized worldwide for its flavor and variety, as it is a mixture of African and English food in which a quantity of spices.
The base of the Jamaican cuisine it is given by fish, poultry, rice, vegetables, fruits and spices. For all this, it forms a very healthy diet, since fresh foods are used. But in Jamaica we can find indigenous ingredients:
– Quibombo: used to thicken, similar to chili.
– Ackee: fruit that is prepared cooked.
– Callaloo: vegetable similar to spinach that is used to make a soup that also has different types of roasted meats.
But what most characterizes its culinary It is the enormous variety of spices, ginger, curry and allspice, characterized by a spicy flavor and intense aroma. Between the dishes most typical of Jamaica we find:
– Jamaican omelette: prepared with eggs, chard, carrots, celery, potatoes and fresh tomatoes.
– Summary: delicious dish prepared with different varieties of fish and vegetables cooked with coconut milk, peppers and slightly spicy spices.
– Jerk pork or chicken : Specialty prepared with pork or chicken meat, marinated in a jerk sauce that is very strong and spicy.
– Charqui: sauce to taste meat, fish, vegetables. A marinated mixture is made with nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, garlic, onion, vinegar, soy and rum.
– Jamaican pepper pork: before cooking the pork, let it rest for a few hours in a mixture of pepper, ginger, cloves and nutmeg.
– Papaya chutney: pieces of green papaya, mango and ginger, bathed in tamarind juice made up of vinegar and hot pepper.
– Rabbit to Rum: before cooking the rabbit, let it rest for a couple of days in a mixture of rum and pepper.
The drinks The most typical of the island have a strong flavor, we highlight the Jamaican rum and the coffee liquor. In addition, all kinds of juices and fruit smoothies from the area are served.
Kids Try Jamaican Food | Kids Try | HiHo Kids (June 2020)