On several occasions we have recommended different destinations for Mexico, both paradisiacal beaches and other places of great interest, be it cultural or architectural. Today I would like to focus on its gastronomy, which is not only very varied but also delicious. I remember that when I worked on a cruise ship that traveled several places in Mexico, whenever I was ashore I would go to any local restaurant to try something different every day… how wonderful!
The most characteristic of Mexican food is spicy, so if you do not like strong flavors you will not enjoy food in Mexico, although of course I recommend you try them because you will be surprised. Take note of the main details of the Mexican gastronomy:
– Cereals: They are part of many dishes, especially corn, rice and wheat. With corn the typical Mexican tortillas are prepared.
– Vegetables: They are also in many dishes, especially the ashes, quintoniles, huauhzontles, purslane or romeritos. The famous guacamole is made with tomato, jalapeño and avocado.
– Other ingredients: There are other foods that are also part of numerous dishes, such as legumes (especially beans), cheese (it is in many of the most typical dishes) or cocoa, which is used especially for sweet dishes but is also in many hot and salty dishes.
– Chile: It is probably the most typical of Mexican food, a very spicy seasoning that they put in almost all their dishes.
– Drinks: Tequila is the national liquor so you will find it everywhere and even with different flavors. Other well-known alcoholic beverages are mezcal and pulque, although the latter is almost gone.
– Typical dishes: Among the most typical and almost compulsory consumption if you are in Mexico are the tortas ahogadas, the refried beans or the Mexican-style eggs.
Top 10 Mexican Foods (April 2021)