They are special places, which have a marked nuance nostalgic And romantic. Emotions are breathed in train stations, farewells and reunions can be guessed, which have been repeated day after day, year after year on their platforms.
Also, train stations like public and character buildings Social, they have always been in the sights of great architects, who have strived, and continue to do so, to achieve outstanding buildings. So many train stations are authentic architectural wonders and they attract thousands of tourists every day who come just to see them. We tell you which are the most beautiful.
The most beautiful and visited
Although it may seem like a lie, it is not easy to make a selection with the most beautiful train stations in the world. The list would be too long, as there are many that should be included. We have chosen some of the most spectacular. Here you have them:
- Atocha Station, in Madrid. We start with our own, since it really deserves this mention. When it was inaugurated in 1851, it was named Noon Station. Its curious greenhouse attracts many tourists.
- Antwerp Central Station. A baroque-style building that began to be built in 1895. Only its cupola already justifies the visit.
- San Bento Station, in Porto. It was built in 1916 on the site of the ninth-century convent of San Bento del Ave María. The hall stands out, decorated with more than 20,000 Portuguese tiles.
- Milan Central Station. This building, a mixture of Art Nouveau and Art Deco, was built very slowly and was not finished until 1931.
- Maputo Station, in Mozambique. The defining feature is iron structures. And it was designed by Eiffel in 1910.
- Berlin Central Station. It is the largest in Europe (more than 70,000 square meters) and was inaugurated in 2006. In addition to its many benefits, it is an example of sustainable architecture, since it has solar panels that supply 50% of its electricity consumption .
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminal, in Bombay. Better known as Victoria Terminus, stands out for being a melting pot of cultures: in it the neo-Gothic style is mixed with the traditional Indian style.
Top 10 Most Amazing Railway Stations in The World (February 2024)
- Train Stations